Wednesday 14 December 2011

Final Evaluation



Looking back at my statement of intent, I have done what I set out to do in terms of the briefs I selected and processes I made. The briefs I selected incorporated at least one of the criteria from my rationale, ‘A layout driven investigation across print and screen with a focus on branding, identity and promotion.’ By choosing briefs that incorporated these,  I have produced work I feel can be included in my portfolio, and it is work I believe represents me as a designer.

I promised myself to start using Illustrator more, and I did, I barely used Photoshop, and I cannot understand why I haven’t used this program more regularly. I feel much more confident in the software, and it has really helped with all of my briefs. I did lack in confidence using illustrator files in After Effects, so this is an area where I did rely on Photoshop.
I did begin to start exploiting the use of Photoshop, more than I have done before, and it has allowed me to come up with much more creative ideas.  Although I did lose around 6 hours worth of motion graphics from not transferring files from the user work area, this meant I had to completely write out motion graphics from Brief 2, and a hurried decision into a final for Brief 4, as time was slowly running out.

I feel the briefs were answered to the best of my abilities, although I think where I am lacking is my final products, I have had some innovative concepts, but didn’t see them through, through lack of confidence. I believe the final products across all my briefs seem to be lacking, but I have to consider that the motion part for my briefs was extremely time consuming.

I also set out to take advantage of live briefs coming in, which I did, I created Brief 1 solely from a mixture of live briefs, which allowed me to work in different ways and paces. I particularly enjoyed the Mexican Museum of Design, as I have never really done illustration/pattern before, and I was pleased with the final resolution.

Brief 2 showed me the importance of taking a break, and taking a step back from a project when things aren’t going well. Without this break, I don’t think I would have produced the work I did. I took around a month break from it, and I benefited hugely and I came up with some designs and ideas I am really pleased with. I am disappointed I didn’t do the motion side to the deliverables, but I can learn from this mistake.

The third brief, allowed me to do what I enjoy, After Effects. When I wasn’t getting frustrated with rendering, I really enjoyed creating the deliverables for this, and I learnt a lot from taking the idea from screen to print, there were around 4 attempts of printing where the eye didn’t come out very well at all.

The D&AD brief, brief 4, I really enjoyed, it was a challenge from the beginning, working with a new target audience was extremely daunting until I had enough research to initiate ideas. I only wish I had used my own film footage, but lack of knowledge and equipment meant this was unachievable.  Again, I was able to use After Effects again, although I think my logo animations seem too simple, but I felt this was necessary because of my target audience, who probably wouldn’t care what the logo does.

I have got so much out of this module, I have learnt how to manage multiple projects at once, to a certain extent, although I could still improve on that immensely. I have learnt more into creating better presentation boards, and the layout skills that come with it, again, layout is a part of my rationale. Again, like with all other modules, I have learnt the hard way, I must blog as soon as the work is done, I did this up until about November, when I started getting really busy, and the ‘to blog’ pile got higher. Contextually, I have got a lot out of this module, as I am interested in working with graphics for television, I have learnt a lot about Channel 4, BBC and ITV, especially when it comes to branding and promotion. I found it interesting to see the guidelines for Channel 4 and how it works, which informed my own practice with Brief 4.

I managed to secure another work placement at Urban Feather, I very much enjoyed this again, and have been invited back at Christmas. As I have been busy with this module, I didn’t make the time to look for other companies, apart from my interview at ITV.

No comments:

Post a Comment